The flexibility to build a security partnership between Wigley Group and Macaw Security Solutions whilst implementing accountable security measures. The challenge was to maximise the deployment of a K9 Unit, monitored cameras, concrete barriers and steel gate in a cost effective way, to ensure Wigley Groups security budget was not exceeded.
- Employ K9 Unit
- Deploy CCTV and intruder alarm systems either stand-alone or integrated, should be considered to protect the building and perimeter
- Display warning notices stating security precautions are in force, providing specific details that monitored CCTV is being used on site.
- Provide a dedicated 24-hour security management system that is ISO accredited – Establishes a single point of contact for security incidents and reporting.
- Improved communication and availability for a better and more interconnected experience when visitors to the building are directed by the Macaw K9 Unit.
- Streamlined communications between Macaw and Wigley Group which will result in a concise reporting process which is truly auditable.
- With a comprehensive range of services which are supported by gathering and analysing site-specific requirements. By examining every instruction with practised insight, and by applying the collective client experience safeguarding Wigley Group’s reputation and assets.
Wigley Group having secured a contract from Exeter Group to management services upon industrial warehouse and logistic centres required the following security risk mitigation measures.
CCTV – a complete motion detection camera alarm system that sends a short video clip with the alarm notification to EMCS 24/7 manned central station for immediate review. The monitored video alarm delivers quicker Police dispatch and Macaw’s own instructed Responder.
K9 Unit – With high-value property to protect and with large isolated premises to guard the client utilised one of our exceptional General Purpose Security Patrol Dog Teams. The highly trained (in line with British Standards 7499 & 8517), SIA Licensed, qualified K9 Units provided an excellent visual deterrent to would-be criminals and trespassers during this specific project.
Large industrial sites are easy targets for the opportunist thief; the high value of assets and equipment can lead to quick and easy profit for the successful thief.
The site has its own issues of concern and will be subject to a number of threats, against which security has been applied by Macaw Security Solutions using a layered approach. These may include theft, vandalism and deliberate damage and traveller occupation.
Vandalism is common and may occur as a result of political or commercial concerns on the part of the perpetrators as well as mindless lust for damage and destruction.
The Wigley Group site provided a security challenge due to its constant change; both physically in the value and accessibility of the property itself, and the frequent access needed by a wide variety of outside contractors.
Following a full risk assessment prior to deployment of any Macaw Security Solutions security services, the following risks were taken into operational planning:
- Traveller Occupation
Whilst considering threats the risk assessment took into account hazards. In part this is because the methods of mitigation may help for both threats and hazards. The following hazards are typical:
- Flooding, storm damage, etc
- Project issues (Staff injury, Failure of supplier’s business, Finance, etc)
Implementation of Security Measures
CCTV was deployed to aid the security of a building and acted as a deterrent to criminal activity. It was important that the intended use of the CCTV system was known at the planning stage (fig 1.) as this affected the type, quality and quantity of equipment required.
The poor availability of power to the CCTV system was considered and resulted in the deployment of a battery-powered system being installed.
The equipment provided a low light, with the infrared operation and was monitored by Macaw Security Solutions 24/7 manned control station. The system provided an excellent early warning via the OPs Room to the K9 Unit on site when a trespasser entered the perimeter.
The wireless system included the capability to transmit live or recorded images being viewed by Macaw’s monitoring partner EMCS.
Established in 1987, with just a handful of Intruder systems, EMCS today provides monitoring services for in excess of 90,000 premises across the UK and Ireland covering a range of disciplines; Intruder, Fire, Personal Attack, Medical, Machinery, CCTV, Access Control and Environmental alarms.
EMCS is a privately owned, family-run business dedicated to staying at the forefront of technology. EMCS continues to reinvest in its staff, buildings and product development ensuring the best acomplete services to Macaw Security Solutions.
K9 Unit was also concurrently deployed upon Wigley Group sites, with high-value property to protect and with large isolated premises to guard the client utilising one of our exceptional General Purpose Security Patrol Dog Teams. The highly trained (in line with British Standards 7499 & 8517), SIA Licensed, qualified K9 Units provided an excellent visual deterrent to would-be criminals and trespassers during this specific task.